Which should I read first? Fidelis or Spero?
If you are encountering the Birth Pangs series for the first time you may be wondering if you needed to start at the beginning, with Fidelis, in order to understand Spero.
Actually, the way that I’ve written the books they can each be read independently. You can read either or both and in any order. This will be true for the remaining of the series, too.
The series is not linear.
In other words, Spero doesn’t start where Fidelis leads off. For a number of reasons, I am writing the series with each book (except book 7) reflecting the perspective of a different character in the series. The time frames covered by all of the books is roughly the same and where the characters of the different books interact, the same scene is present in each book, seen from that character’s unique perspective. Where the characters depart from each other, the story branches off. You might say that each book overlaps the others.
This approach allows me to lay ever deeper layers of meaning to the events in the books. One character will think nothing of an event in one book but in another book, another character will perceive the event as a turning point or startling development.
In short, you’ll be able to read any of the first six books in any order that you please. Each is stand alone, but none are the whole story.
The seventh book will start, chronologically, where the first six books end, and proceed to tie up all the loose ends, weaving the six story lines into a single rope.
There are a number of reasons for why I took this approach. One of them is that I perceive that our entire lives are like this. Each of us is a character in a book. There are some 10 billion books in the ‘series,’ with many of our ‘stories’ overlapping the stories of others. Taken together, our individual stories constitute one grand story. This grand story contains elements that are astonishing, but in my view, missed if you take the stories of our lives one at a time. At the same time, one cannot overlook our individual lives, for pieces of them are what make the grand story, the Mosaic, we’ll call it, what it is.
My seven book series is a very faint shadow of what I perceive is reality. It begs the question: if the Birth Pangs series are a mosaic of my authorship, who is the Author of the series of our lives? Is there really no Author? Really? I don’t think so. If you think that way, one of my aims is to persuade you otherwise.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Interview Question about My Book Series
- Protected: Bubblegum and Suckers Short Story
- Become a ‘true fan’ of fiction writer AR Horvath
- A reader submitted review of Birth Pangs Spero
- Which should I read first? Fidelis or Spero?
- Sojourner Leather Now at LeatherJournal.us
- The End of the United States in 2010?
- Best Prices out there for Birth Pangs Spero and Fidelis
- A review of Book 1, Fidelis, from Steven McEvoy Book reviews
- Spero on Black Monday and a new release of Fidelis
- Review of Spero by Jean Heimann
- Interview Questions: Masculinity and Femininity in the Birth Pangs Series. Q9.
- Rethinking Hope in a Presidential Election Based on Hope
- Interview Questions: Orthodox Theological Explorations in the Fictional Birth Pangs Series. Q8.
- Interview Questions: Birth Pangs and Theology and Apologetics? Q7.
- Book 2: Spero, Extended Excerpt, Release Date Announced
- Interview Questions: Birth Pangs and Politics Q6. Re: Are the politics important or just superficial?
- Interview Questions: A post nuclear war setting Q5. Re: Why choose that setting for talk about virtues, etc
- Yippee! The First Draft of Book 2 is Done!
- Interview Questions: The Writing of Fidelis Q4. Re: Truth, Narratives, and History
- Interview Questions: The Writing of Fidelis Q2/Q3. Re: Fides
- Interview Questions: The Writing of Fidelis Q 1.
- Added 60 pages to Book 2
- Book 2 Progress, Big Feature Article On the Way, Other Updates
- Youtube video of leather editions
- Copies of my book, Fidelis, donated to soldiers for Christmas, etc, Christmas Promotion
- First Audio Podcast- Fidelis in Audio Book Chapter 1 Part 1
- Bloggers Invited to Review Role Playing Game, Receive Commission on Book Sales
- the Birth Pangs Role Playing Game Resurrected
- Check out some Photos of Hard Cover
- The New Hard Cover Cover
- Some neat graphics and re-release of book 1
- Press release at I-News
- press release at 1888
- Press release at prlog
- A Review: The Harry Potter Alternative
- Upcoming news on the re-release of book 1 and book 2 developments
- The Text of Book One: Revised
- A thanks to Correctnesscommentary.com
- Known Links to Birth Pangs Releases
- An open letter to Christian muggles and ‘Ministry of Magic’ types
- The Next Harry Potter? Christian Author Aims to Follow in the Footsteps of JK Rowling, Explores True Nature of Humanity in Book, ‘Fidelis’
- How should I buy- Amazon, BN, direct? What best helps you?
- Christian Author Challenges Readers’ Perceptions, Explores True Nature of Humanity in Book, â€˜Fidelisâ€™
- Status of Book 2
- Horvath made it into the print press!
- Cornerstone Music Festival, June 25th-30th
- Book Signing/Author Interaction Social
- Book Signing: Books Connection, Livonia, MI
- Book Discussion/Signing: Blue Cup Coffee House
- Book Signing: Barnes and Noble, Onalaska WI
- March 1st, 2007. 7-9 p.m. Concordia University Wisconsin
- Upcoming Events
- Officially Available On Amazon.com
- Some Reviews Recieved about Birth Pangs: “Fidelis”
- Special Rates for Book Clubs
- Had to order more books today!
- Available on Barnes and Noble.com!
- Nearly Available on Amazon.com
- The book is out and available!
- The day approaches…
- Into the stretch
- Release is on Schedule!
- Release Update
- Closer to phase 1 launch
- Link to illustrator of the cover and graphic designer for this site
- RPG woes
- Pre-purchase Fidelis
- Things are about ready to roll…
- Errata… is that even spelled right?
- This first entry